A recurring theme in these posts since the beginning has always been:
My goodness, rails is too heavy for just a simple blog!
After an extraordinarily painful series of fixes to deploy minor changes to the rails app yesterday, I finally took the plunge and did a rewrite of the website.
Technically I didn’t do much. A site generator called Jekyll, and a theme, did most of the heavy lifting for me, but I’ve added some tweaks to make it feel like its previous home.
The only real downside is that I can’t login from any computer and write a blog post, but I never did that anyways. The benefits far outweigh the pitfalls. You can read a bit more about what finally tipped me over to wanting to make this change from this blog post by NinjaTrappeur
I still have some more things that I need to add to make this what I really want, but for now, I’m extremely happy with the outcome of a few hours of work. One of those things might be a ‘dump’ of my work notes. I would have to filter out notes protected by NDA, but the rest would be fair game. You could think of them as tiny blog posts that are mostly ‘stream of conciousness’ style. Let me know if you want to see that!comments powered by Disqus